Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Calm After the Storm!

So it was another eventful week at the Gassid household! It seems as though every time Jaaf has to leave for work a natural disaster takes place! This one was in the form of a Tornado! The worst kind of natural disasters in my mind! I hate them! In college, Jaaf and his friends would try to go out and chase the Tornado's while I was crying and hiding myself in a bathtub with a mattress over my head! Now it is a little different, I have two precious little boys to try and keep calm. I felt like I did a terrible job of it too! Thank goodness for Mom's, I don't know what I would of done without mine that night! She just had a feeling that things were going to get bad that night, so she came over around 10p.m.! I am so glad she did! We watched the storms all night, and finally around 1:30-a.m., they had all passed! My mom was sleeping with Jax, because he does not like the sound of thunder! I was just turning everything off, then I got a call from my brother at 1:30a.m.! He said, "Jennah, uhh, I'm not trying to scare you or anything but there is a tornado above your house," I said, "I know the storm already passed," He said, "Uhh, it switched directions and now it is a real tornado and it is right by your house!" Sure enough he was right! Right then the sirens went off, mom and I grabbed the boys and put the in the tub with us! We put their little bicycle helmets on to protect their precious little heads, and then we turned on the weather radio. Jantzen was not too happy about the helmets. He kept saying, "No Helmet, No Thank You!" Jaxson did a great job of trying to get Janzten excited about wearing it, it eventually worked! The only channel we could get was Gary England! He kept saying, "If you are East of May, you can come out of your shelter!" Then my neighbor called and said, "Jennah what do we do, it is right above us!!" I told her that no Gary said we are fine! Her husband then began to say in a loud voice, "Channel 8 is saying it is at 178th and May!" Perfect, I though, that is our house! I hung up the phone and began to panic on the inside. My mom was singing Jesus loves me with the boys, while I was praying, "Jesus save us, protect us!!" She then went on the have the boys play a bathtub game and hid under as many pillows as the could! Jaxson went on to say later, "That was the best bathtub game ever!" If he only knew how scared his mommy was!! Well we sat there, and sure enough we heard the tornado winds roll on by and the was vibrate, and then the power went! We sat for a very long time just praying that it was over! My dad called to let us know that we were safe to come out. We ended up gathering our things and going over to my parents house to sleep for the remainder of the night. By the time we got there and got settled it was already close to 5 in the morning! Long night!! We survived and ever so thankful, because about 15-20 home in our neighborhood did not hold up so well. The boys are doing fine and acting as if it never happened! They have been missing their daddy, which is normal, but happy and playful as usual! They took a long bubble bath the next night, and by the time I laid them in their beds, they were almost asleep. Jantzen was so sleepy that during the night he ended up falling off his bed, yet he continued to sleep there on the floor. He was also soaked because of the way he was laying, yet he kept on sleeping! Pretty cute! I was laughing so hard when I took these pics!! It just cracked me up! What a sweet baby!
These are the boys with their new pj's and toys from Grandi! She sent them a care package after the Tornado to help them get their mind off it! It worked! Thank you Lord for Grandi!!! Don't know what we would do without her!!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."

Psalm 91:1

Thank you Lord for being a shelter and for protecting us! May we rest in the shadow of the Almighty!

No comments: