Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day Two/Dental Clinic

Today was our second day of clinic. First we ate another wonderful breakfast. This morning was so sweet. I think many of us were exhausted. I personally was feeling a bit defeated and exhausted. Carrie turned on her music and we had a little mini worship time. It was beyond sweet. The tears were flowing. We sang "Lord I need you" and then we sang "God of this City." I just love both of these songs. When I woke up that first morning looking out over the City I kept thinking about the song God in this City. Thinking how awesome that He is God of Ethiopia and God over all the world! It was so sweet to sing this song to pray over this country! Then the Lord I need you song, it just reminded me, that all I need to get through the day is Him. "none of me and all of Him!" 
 This day I was helping the dentist. My job was not glamorous in any way, but it had to be done. I had to clean all the instruments that the Dentist used. I had to wear two separate sets of gloves (Which I had to change constantly) I would have 3 trays made up with the most essential instruments on each tray, a spit cup, medicine, and gauze! After she would work on a child which usually led to pulling multiple teeth, i would have to take the tray from her put all bloody and used instruments into the cleaning station, and then I would had to trash the bloody spit cups, gauze, and all the extracted teeth. The amount of blood and spit I saw that day was unnerving. And it was by His grace that I did not get sick or nauseous after looking and smelling it all day. As each kiddo came in a felt like I really couldn't help them personally, so what I did was pray over each child as they laid there scared with no mom or dad to hold their little hands. The dentist room has two windows and the street kids wold just stand there watching the kids get their teeth pulled. It amazed me how it didn't seem to phase any of the kids. It was like they were so calloused to pain that it didn't bother them at all. 
I had a special little helper with me that day. His name was begadu. The dentist, Jill, sponsors Begadu. She was absolutely amazing and was full of such grace as I watched her teach sweet Begadu what each instrument was and how to use it. He helped me so much that day to get the instruments I needed he would also stand there holding the hands of the little ones and telling them "Ish Ish" which means you are going to be OK. He was so little and yet he was so compassionate and caring and helpful. I told him he was Dr. Begadu for the day. At one point I let him play with my phone. All he wanted to do was look at pictures of my boys. He loved being able to look at them and guess what they were doing. At first I was worried that maybe it would make him sad if he saw all that they had knowing he did not have anything, but he just loved looking at them.
Later that night we had a fun dinner at our hotel with our wonderful driver and our translator. It was a fun night! 
This is the outdoor bathroom the kiddos use. There is a bucket in there for them and then they have to dump it.
It is also the outdoor shower.
Me and sweet Begadu
Walking the streets with Yosi to get some caffein
YAY we found a coke stand! Little did we know they also sold drugs here!!
Lovely mannequin at the clothing place next to the coke stand!
All those leafy things are drugs! =)
Some kiddos just playing soccer in the alley behind our hotel.
Yay we got our coke and the guy in the background holding up some drugs! =)
Our delicious dinner!
Lamb and potatoes and carrots.

Our coffee desert!

No comments: