Monday, September 23, 2013

Onesimus

Today was the first day of being at Onesimus! I could not wait to play with those kids! I had all sorts of great plans! We woke up and had an amazing breakfast and then headed to Onesimus. I was just soaking everything in, the streets, the people, the houses, everything!!! We pulled up to this cobblestone street that led to Onesimus, and boy did I not even realize that with one short little walk up that path would change  my life forever! We were greeted by tons of children and the whole faculty of Onesiums. They had made signs for us, put out chairs for us, and then had a welcome ceremony. The water works started then, and they didn't stop until we left, and quite honestly I have cried a few times since being home just thinking about my Ethiopian babies and brothers and sisters! After the welcome ceremony we started our first day of clinic. My job that day was to play with the kids. I was so ready for this, God created me to do this, and then reality hit and I realized that there is no way I can do this without His strength. I prayed constantly through out that day as i was feeling completely defeated. My hopes were to have organized play, well we did about three games with a translator that went well, and when he left, it went down hill. At one point I finally just realized that God needed me just to love on them. So I stopped the organized play and just went around to the little groups and spent time with each of them. It was way more peaceful to do that! One group the girls painted my nails, one group the girls made me a ring out of a palm leaf, one group just wanted me to sing in English over and over and over again! She had no clue that I couldn't sing, she loved it and I loved the opportunity to sing over her! I play basketball with a ballon, fooseball on a completely broken table, played volleyball with balloons, and so on! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TIRED!!! Seriously I thought my body was going to collapse, but I realized that I was completely dependent on my Savior to get me through the rest of the week. We got home that night and I think I cried for a good while thinking there is no way I can do this all week. Again, I needed my savior! I felt much better after talking with my husband and other friends who were constantly sending me encouragement. I told the girls at dinner that the day totally kicked my butt. I think it felt that way for everyone. You are just being pulled in every way possible and there is just not enough of you to go around! 

Our super yummy breakfast!
The kindergarten school next to us!
The local Home Depot!
A local shopping center!
The Evangelical Church!
Just a bunch a goats walking along the street!
The road leading to Onesimus!
Tihya welcoming us!!
The September Flower the put on the ground so we wouldn't have to walk in the mud. The September flower is unique to Ethiopia and grows only in September. Ethiopia is named after the flower!
Our coffee and popcorn ceremony. They always serve popcorn with their coffee!!! Such a brilliant idea!!
Tiya telling us that it was the first week of the new year for Ethiopia and what better way to start then with us. He told us we are one in Spirit and We are happy now but we are already sad at the thought of your leaving!
Carrie introducing us all!

Cutting the cake that said welcome!

The ceremony was so special and full of love!
The building behind Onesimus!
Just piles of trash everywhere!

I can not even begin to describe the driving conditions here. It was beyond crazy! There were no lanes, no signs, no lights, no organization!! It was every man for himself! I felt like I was playing one big game of frogger and was just hoping we would make it to our destination in one piece!
Jaaf sent me a pick of my sweet boys!!!
On the way to school!
This was the devotion for the day, it was so so perfect!
The school children playing!

This is what a lot of people drive in Ethiopia!

No comments: