"A dinner was prepared in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, and Lazarus was among those who ate with him. Then Mary took a twelve-ounce jar of expensive perfume made from essence of nard, and she anointed Jesus’ feet with it, wiping his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance.
But Judas Iscariot, the disciple who would soon betray him, said, “That perfume was worth a year’s wages. It should have been sold and the money given to the poor.” Not that he cared for the poor—he was a thief, and since he was in charge of the disciples’ money, he often stole some for himself.
Jesus replied, “Leave her alone. She did this in preparation for my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”
John 12:2-7
Mary anointing Jesus' feet was one of the many things that happened right before His Crucifixion. Today I read the story to the boys and told them that it was a very special gift that Mary gave to Jesus by anointing him with the most expensive perfume she had and then to humble herself and wipe His feet clean using her hair.
I traced the kiddos feet and let them paint them. Then I brought out about 6 different kinds of perfume and lotion. I put one scent on each little piece of paper and had them smell all the different smells. I then let them pick which one was their favorite. Then they got to spray it all over their paper feet. Then I asked the boys I they wanted me to anoint their feet or their hands with one of the lotions or perfumes, and of course they did!! So I rubbed the lotion on them and then they wanted to rub the lotion on my hands. Lets just say that I had ALL six of the different lotions and perfumes on my hands. I could not get away from the smell. We stepped outside for a little bit, and when we opened the door, fumes of perfume and lotion came rushing out. It reminded me of the verse that said, "The house was filled with the fragrance." What an amazing act of love Mary showed Jesus. I asked the boys what are some ways we can honor Jesus and show Him how much we love Him?? They said by: Loving Jesus, helping others, loving each other, and being kind to each other.
I have often thought that I might of been Martha and been the one trying to prepare for the dinner instead of just sitting at His feet honoring Him. I love how Jesus put Judas in his place when he told him to leave her alone! This week I am going to try and just rest at His feet and honor Him above all!
Here are some pics!

The boys painting their feet.
Jax picking out his favorite smell!
Jantzen spraying his feet!
Jax spraying his feet
1 comment:
What a great idea! Your activities this week are really challenging me!
Post a Comment